A U.S. Navy PBM of Fleet Air Wing 6 is hoisted aboard the seaplane tender USS Curtiss (AV-4) after a mine-hunting patrol off North Korea during the Korean War (1950-1953).
The Glenn Martin Company of Baltimore designed and began construction of the PBM in 1937.
The flying boat included a deep hull with gull wings and was powered by two seventeen-hundred-horsepower
Wight Cyclone engines providing a maximum speed of 198 miles per hour at thirteen thousand feet altitude.
Early models also included provisions for nose and dorsal turrets and positions for guns at the waist and tail positions. The PBM-3, ordered by the Navy in 1940, had fixed, strut-braced wing floats. Some of these models were fitted out as transports; some had increased armor protection; and others had search radar equipment.
[National Archives and Records Administration]