Boeing 247D Transport
First of the modern airliners, the Boeing 247 first flew in February of 1933. The all-metal, low-wing 247 combined a retractable landing gear, two supercharged air-cooled engines, and, in later models, controllable pitch propellers, with totally new standards in passenger comfort. The ten passengers and three crew members enjoyed excellent soundproofing, a low vibration level, plush seats, and, for the first time, cabin air conditioning.
The original 247 had a top speed of 182 mph and cruised at 170 mph compared to the 115 mph of the Ford Tri-motor then in general use. Boeing attempted to match the Douglas aircraft by creating the 247D, an improved version with a 200mph top speed and 189-mph cruise. Earlier 247s were modified to 247D standards, but the airplane did not have the necessary growth potential to compete and was soon relegated to shorter route segments and smaller airlines.
On May 22, 1933, the new 247 entered cross country service, making the journey from San Francisco to New York in 19 1/2 hours, compared to the previous 27-hour air travel time.
The National Aviation Museum of Canada specimen, built as a Boeing 247 in 1934, was converted to 247D standards in 1935. It flew for 13 different operators, including United Air Lines, the RCAF, Quebec Airways, and Canadian Pacific Airlines. It was donated to the Museum in 1967 by its last operator, California Standard Oil of Calgary, Alberta.
Wing Span: 74 ft (22.6 m)
Length: 51 ft 7 in (15.7 m)
Height: 12 ft 6 in (3.8 m)
Weight, Empty: 8,940 lb (4,055 kg)
Weight, Gross: 13,650 lb (6,192 kg)
Cruising Speed: 189 mph (304 km/h)
Max Speed: 200 mph (322 km/h)
Rate of Climb: 1,150 ft (350m)/min
Service Ceiling: 25,400 ft (7,740 m)
Range: 800 mi (1,297 km)
Power Plant: two Pratt & Whitney S1H1-G Wasp, 550 hp, 9-cylinder radial engines